Every year Apple launches new iPhones in the market to keep the smartphone line up alive. However, before that the Cupertino-based tech firm also introduces at least one iPad, refreshing the series with a more powerful and feature-rich device. This year it is said to bring at least two new iPad tablets, according to a report by Digitimes.
The report suggests that two of the Taiwan-based touch panel makers namely General Interface Solution (GIS) and TPK Holding will be proving panels for the ‘new iPad series’. Also mentioned is that the company is expected to launch two entry-level iPad devices in the first half of 2019. The line-up may include the fifth-generation iPad Mini tablet along with an ‘entry-level iPad’, specifics of which are not yet known.
Also mentioned is that while GIS is expected to deliver over 40% of the touch solutions for the new iPad devices, TPK and O-film technology will deliver the remaining 60%.
This report falls in line with the report by Macrumours from last month that suggested Apple to launch the same (5th-gen) iPad Mini in H1 2019 alongside a cheaper iPad. It is worth adding that the Cupertino-based tech firm last updated its Apple iPad Mini model back in 2015.
The firm is said to move from the current 9.7-inch display of its iPad (6th generation) to the 10-inch display with a narrower frame. It may also reduce the LED procurement in Japan and switch to Korean-made LED displays.
The last iPad that Apple launched was in October 2018 — Apple iPad Pro (2018) — which became available in India in November.
However, iPad and iPhones are not the only hardware products Apple is planning to launch this year. The firm is rumoured to be working on the 7th-gen iPod Touch mp3 player. The iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle were already discontinued by Apple last year.